Thursday, March 14, 2013

What I've been eating lately...


In an effort to eat healthier and try new things (and maybe possibly shed some pre-wedding weight), I've been changing my eating habits. These are the things I've been obsessed with lately…

Homemade Banana Frozen Yogurt

You guys- best dessert/breakfast/snack ever. Well, maybe not ever. But still. Pretty damn good.
Puree a banana or two in your Magic Bullet/food processor/blender (or, mash one really, really well with a fork and call it a day.) Stir it into some delicious organic vanilla yogurt, and add a splash of vanilla extract. Plop it into your ice cream maker, or freeze in a long flat plastic container. Either way, it turns out pretty much the same.
When you're having a dessert craving, put a scoop or two in a bowl, add some chocolate syrup, sprinkles, strawberries, pineapple, whipped cream, or a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, and Ta Da! Dessert!
Conversely, add some to your morning breakfast smoothie, or have a bowl of it sprinkled with granola, or add more fruit to the top, and Ta Da! Breakfast!

Fake-a-Dilla
Do you have those mornings when you realize you're supposed to leave NOW and you still haven't eaten, or you come in late from work and you're starved but don't have the energy to cook, or you want a savory snack but don't want to succumb to the cheese and crackers? Enter: the Fake-a-Dilla.

This hardly counts as a recipe, but I'll give it to you anyway. Take one of your "Smart Delicious Tortillas" and spread a Queso Fresco and Chipotle cheese wedge on it. Fold it in half. Eat it. 
Calories: 85 (50 for the tortilla, 35 for the cheese wedge). Fat: 3.5 grams. 7 grams protein, 7 grams fiber. Talk about a miracle food!

I've been making a delicious protein shake using these (words you don't usually hear in the same sentence- delicious and protein shake). The Aria brand protein powder, the almond milk, and the chia seeds I buy at Trader Joe's, and the flaxseed I picked up at Christmas Tree Shop for $2, believe it or not. I mill the flaxseeds first in my coffee bean grinder to a fine powder, and add a tablespoon to the shake, along with a tablespoon of chia seeds and a scoop of protein powder. I put in about ¾ cup of almond milk, some frozen berries, and some baby spinach, and Boom! Delicious breakfast/lunch/dinner. I sometimes add the banana frozen yogurt to this as well, which makes it taste even better. So much health in one shake.

I swear to you, I feel like a new person! I've cut out all deli meat and processed meat, fancy coffee drinks, and a lot of my processed food intake, and added more fruits and veggies to my diet. Oh, and did I mention tons of water? I think drinking it in this makes it taste so much better ;)
My Valentine's present from Shmeeguel
Do you have any healthy eating tips or recipes for me? I'd love to hear them!
xoxo, Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously. They're my favorite.