Monday, February 13, 2012

Not my love story, but a good one, at that.

Today's post is lurve themed because of the big pink and red holiday tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of Valentines Day, which is probably why Shmeegs and I are going to the Museum of Science tomorrow. 
Have you guys seen Love Actually? It's one of my faves, and even though its Holiday themed, I think it's perfect to watch at Valentines too. For those of you that don't know, the movie follows eight different British couples, conveniently made out of many of my favorite actors! My favorite love story out of all of them is "Jamie and Aurelia," i.e. Colin Firth and Lucia Moniz. P.S. if you haven't seen it and don't want to know the ending to their love story, watch it and then come back to this post, ok?
At the beginning of the story, Jamie finds out his girlfriend is cheating on him with his brother. Awkward. So, naturally, he goes to his rustic, gorgeous house in France to recover and work on a book he's writing. His housekeeper hires Aurelia to clean and cook for him while he's there. There is a small issue of the language barrier between Portuguese Aurelia and English Jamie, as shown here:

Jamie: Er... Would you like the last, uh…(cookie) ? 
Aurelia: [in Portuguese] Thank you very much, but no. 
Jamie: No? 
Aurelia: [in Portuguese] If you saw my sister, you'd understand why. 
Jamie: That's all right, more for me. 
Aurelia: [in Portuguese] Just don't go eating it all yourself, you're getting chubbier every day. 
Jamie: I'm very lucky, I've got one of those constitutions where I never put on weight.   



Every time they talk, they actually are answering each other, but they don't realize it. *Sigh* When       
Jamie finally leaves to go back to London, they say one of my mostest favoritest lines in a movie EVER. 
Jamie: [in English] It's my favorite time of day, driving you. 
Aurelia: [in Portuguese] It's the saddest part of my day, leaving you.
And then there are scenes of him going to a language school and learning Portuguese…and then it's Christmas Eve, and as soon as he gets to his relatives house, he says he has to go, and runs off to the airport. Do yourself a favor and watch the link below. It'll get you all warm and fuzzy on the inside. 
Jamie's Proposal to Aurelia 

Look at his face!


[in Portuguese]
Jamie: Beautiful Aurelia, I've come here with a view of asking you to marriage me. I know I seems an insane person - because I hardly knows you - but sometimes things are so transparency, they don't need evidential proof. And I will inhabit here, or you can inhabit with me in England. Of course I don't expecting you to be as foolish as me, and of course I prediction you say 'no', but's it's Christmas and I just wanted to…check"
Aurelia
: Thank you. That will be nice. Yes is being my answer. Easy question.

Jamie
: You learned English? 
Aurelia
: Just in cases. 

Makes me tear up every time. Do you have a favorite movie love story? 
xoxo (and Happy Valentine's Day!), Kate 

1 comment:

  1. "Just in cases" has got to be my favourite line out of a movie, ever!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously. They're my favorite.